Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry, Merry

Today I baked a German Chocolate cake from scratch with the help of a certain two-year-old. It should be noted that the first time I baked such a cake was for Matthew’s birthday shortly after we were married. Compared to my usual add “water, butter, and eggs to the mix” baking strategy it is an insane amount of work. But you do these things for those you love. Today our cake is for Jesus.
Somewhere jumbled between presents, a festive tree, letters to Santa, Advent calendar countdowns, cookies, and carols is the significance of the season. I have a lot of fond traditions and holiday memories that I want to pass down to Gracie, but most importantly I want her to know why this is such a cherished time of year. It is more than a few vacation days, more than wish lists coming true, even more than time spent with family and friends.
It is about the love of the Lord coming to us through the birth of a baby, reaching down to offer saving grace to a group of hopeless sinners. Every year at Christmas I remember the love that was born, the sacrifice that suffered, and the forgiveness that triumphs for me and for us all.
Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Merry CHRISTmas to you too!!! Enjoy that cake!
    Dawn, Jeff, Abigail & BP2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put! Merry Christmas!! Love you guys:)

    ReplyDelete